Trust me, that only makes sense if you've read Lucifer's Hammer
. And I really, really, really should probably not read so many angsty books in a row. In rapid succession I've read:Truth and Beauty
- tragic true story of a friendship between two writers, one of whom is disfigured.Autobiography of a Face
- the autobiography of the disfigured writer from above.Thread of Grace
- Italian civilians and partisans work to save refugee Jews during the last year of WWII. High body count. (Based on actual events)Lethal Marriage
- the true crime story recounting the horrendous deeds of Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka and the infuriatingly inefficient, incompetent police investigation that followed.Into Thin Air
- harrowing stuff about the deadliest month on Everest.Lucifer's Hammer
- it's the end of the world as we know. (And I feel fine?)
I think I'm developing a twitch. And a mighty urge to read yet more of the same. Right now I'm hankering after Into the Wild
(by Jon Krakauer who wrote Into Thin Air
) and the newest edition of The World's Most Dangerous Places
. I figure I'll read them as I bustle through the aisles of the local survivalists store, picking up trenching tools and water purifiers and a generator or two. Because you know? It just can't hurt.
Hey - guess what? I don't have high blood pressure anymore :) I've been taking hypertension meds since 1984, and after having some difficulties with them recently (as in bp of 90/60 and a heartrate of 45, plus a very low body temp) darlong
finally convinced me to stop them for a bit. It's been several weeks now, and my dystolic is 78. 78
. I'm absolutely giddy, y'all.
I'm travelling to the States tomorrow, and hopefully kidnapping darlong
to go with me. She could use some time away, and it's always more fun to travel with her. Besides, I know she's been jonesing for some Trader Joe's. So I'm thinking I'll be in Worcester for a time on Thursday getting my emissions testing done and renewing my registration. malterre
? Anyone want to see if we can hook up for lunch or something?
And simply because it's been too long - Mao pics.( What a pretty kitty. Ignore the attitude. He loves me. Really. )